ApplicationS for 2017 will open in November
SOARS is dedicated to broadening participation in the atmospheric and related sciences.
SOARS is an undergraduate to graduate program built around a summer research internship, mentoring by top scientists and engineers, and a supportive learning community. In addition to the summer internship, SOARS includes year-round support, funding to attend conferences and last-dollar tuition scholarships. Successful proteges are eligible to participate in the program for up to four years.
SOARS encourages applications from individuals who are members of a group that is historically under-represented in the atmospheric and related sciences, including students who are Black or African American, American Indian or Alaska Native, and Hispanic or Latino, female, first generation college students, veterans and students with disabilities. SOARS welcomes lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students; students who have experienced, and worked to overcome, educational or economic disadvantage and/or have personal or family circumstances that may complicate their continued progress in research careers.
A successful candidate should
- Have completed the equivalent of two years of college
- Have at least one semester of undergraduate studies remaining after the initial summer program (graduating seniors are not eligible to apply)
- Ideally have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher; if your GPA is less than this, please address the circumstances in your essay
- Have a major in atmospheric science or a related field such as the geosciences, chemistry, computer science, earth science, engineering, environmental science, mathematics, meteorology, oceanography, physics, or social science; and a plan to pursue a career in atmospheric or a related science
- Have U.S.-citizen or permanent-resident status
- Be comfortable with all internship requirements.
Your submission needs:
- A SOARS application
- Two letters of recommendation
- Unofficial Transcripts
- UCAR HR registration
- Two essay questions, each with a limit of 500 words. These are:
1. Academic Statement of Purpose: A statement outlining your career goals and how participating in SOARS will help you meet these goals.
2. SOARS Mission and Personal Journey: SOARS is dedicated to enhancing the diversity of future scientific communities and sharing our science with a broader audience. Please describe how you, based on your personal background and life experiences (including social, cultural, familial, educational, or other opportunities or challenges) will contribute to this mission during and after participation in SOARS.
Are you ready to submit? Please read through these detailed instructions!
To successfully apply to SOARS, be sure to complete each of the following steps. Note that a complete application requires registration through UCAR Human Resources AND a SOARS application. Failure to complete both of these components means your application cannot be considered.
- Register as an official applicant on the UCAR Human Resources website. Please do not upload your CV. Be sure to follow all registration instructions located beneath the position description. Step by step instructions are below if you need them:
* Select "New Resume/CV" then "Proceed without resume/CV"
* Complete contact information and work authorization information
* Under "Profile Attachments" and "Resume/CV Content" leave blank and hit "Continue"
* Complete "Voluntary Self Identification" (note: SOARS does not see this information)
* Fill in the Employment Application. This is simply a legal requirement and does not influence your application to SOARS. You can enter 40 for hours available and 00000.00 for salary (the SOARS salary is fixed). You do not have to have existing employment. If you do not, just enter N/A for text fields, 01/2000 for the start/stop months, pick a random state and 00000.00 for salary fields in the required "Employer 1" boxes. Fill in the Education and Training information and answer the required questions at the bottom of the page and press "Continue".
* Complete the "Legal" page
* "Submit and Continue"
* If you have any problems with this part of the application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Request two recommendations from contacts who can speak to your ability to do research, such as faculty members or academic counselors, using the SOARS Recommendation Form.
- Collect transcripts from all institutions you have attended. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted during the application process. However, students selected for the internship will need to provide official transcripts before they will be officially accepted into the program. Please do not include high school transcripts.
- Fill out and submit the SOARS Application. Please note that this will take you away from the SOARS website and to the UCAR Center for Science Education website (SOARS' parent department).
- Remember to give yourself enough time to write the essays and make sure you address what is being asked. You can find tips for writing effective application essays here.
SOARS 2017 applications are due on February 1, 2017.
If you have questions, please contact SOARS at 303-497-8622 or SOARS@UCAR.edu