The application for SOARS 2015 is now open and the deadline to apply is February 1, 2015. Please read the instructions below for all requirements before applying.
To successfully apply to SOARS, be sure to complete each of the following steps:
- Register as an official applicant on the UCAR Human Resources website. It only requires your name and contact info. Please do not upload your CV. Be sure to follow all registration instructions located beneath the position description.
- Request two recommendations from contacts who can speak to your ability to do research, such as faculty members or academic counselors, using the SOARS Recommendation Form.
- Collect transcripts from all institutions you have attended. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted during the application process. However, students selected for the internship will need to provide official transcripts before they will be officially accepted into the program. Please do not include high school transcripts.
- Fill out and submit the SOARS Application. Please note that this will take you away from the SOARS website and to the Spark website (SOARS' parent department).
- Note that the application includes two essay questions. Remember to give yourself enough time to write the essays. You can find tips for writing effective application essays here.
SOARS encourages applications from individuals who are members of a group that is historically under-represented in the atmospheric and related sciences, including students who are Black or African American, American Indian or Alaska Native, and Hispanic or Latino, female, first generation college students, and students with disabilities. SOARS welcomes lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students; students who have experienced, and worked to overcome, educational or economic disadvantage and/or have personal or family circumstances that may complicate their continued progress in research careers.
A successful candidate should
- Have completed the equivalent of two years of college
- Have at least one semester of undergraduate studies remaining after the initial summer program (graduating seniors are not eligible to apply)
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Have a major in atmospheric science or a related field such as the geosciences, biology, chemistry, computer science, earth science, engineering, environmental science, mathematics, meteorology, oceanography, physics, or social science; plan to pursue a career in atmospheric or a related science
- Have U.S.-citizen or permanent-resident status
- Be comfortable with all internship requirements.
SOARS 2015 applications are due on February 1, 2015.
If you have questions, please contact SOARS at 303-497-8622 or SOARS@UCAR.edu